Outdoor areas could be the center of a given household’s entertainment – with firepits and comfy chairs, barbecues with friends or roundtable lunches outside with the whole family are said to be more enjoyable and memorable.
Beautiful summer days would naturally draw people outside and they’ll need a table and other furniture to lounge in leisurely. Yet outdoor tables are subject to wind, rain, snow, and hail, affecting their durability.
Taking care of outdoor tables by cleaning them regularly and maintaining them could be done in various ways, with some listed below:
Table of Contents
1. Wooden Tables
Wood is a popular choice for outdoor tables as it’s sturdy, versatile, and gives an authentic outdoor look to any space, like the Brosa outdoor tables and other brands. Depending on the weather conditions and if the furniture is covered or left exposed to the elements, cleaning and maintenance should be adjusted accordingly.
Because wood is more porous than, say, metal or plastic, liquid spills and rain should be wiped off as soon as possible to avoid leaving stains or the cracking of a wooden out table’s wooden panels. Other ways of taking care of wooden tables could include:
- First, sweep excess dirt and dust off the surface of the table with a soft-bristled brush.
- Then use mild soap and lukewarm water to help clean away more stubborn grime.
- After cleaning off all the dirt, ensure to remove all the extra moisture with a soft cloth.
- Finally, leave the table in a shaded place to air dry completely before use.
Tables that have been weathered may need to be sanded down with sandpaper and a new layer of sealant added to restore their luster. Another option would be a wood oil applied and left to absorb into the wood to protect it.
2. Metal Tables
Metal tables are another durable option for the outdoor entertainer. They remain rust-free and beautiful for many days to come when looked after.
Similar to wooden tables, metal versions would have their specific care instructions that may include some of these below:
- Step one should be using a bucket or garden hose, wash away dirt and debris by dousing the table in water on top and the legs.
- After that, a soft brush could clear away spots that need more cleaning.
- Next, mild soap that’s free from harsh chemicals could be used with a microfiber cloth to clean all the surfaces. Rinse the cloth to wipe away the soap from all surfaces.
- Lastly, dry the table thoroughly with a dry cloth or old towel to ensure that no water is left standing on the metal surfaces, which may cause erosion.
Avoid abrasive pads, sponges, or cloths when cleaning a metal surface. These could cause damage and leave the table looking dull. Make sure to clean the underside, too, as dirt could quickly accumulate in the joints and corners.
3. Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete Tables
Glass fiber reinforced tables are molded using concrete mixed with glass fibers. The mixture makes for a long-lasting addition to the backyard without being overly heavy or bulky. Designs vary between suppliers, and some are colored, whereas others are left with original cement grey, perfectly fitting the latest design trends.
When cleaning these tables, there are similar steps to wood and metal counterparts, but may need some extra cleaning techniques if their surfaces are not sealed:
- Firstly, all dirt, leaves, or dust should be removed with a brush.
- Secondly, check for mold, fungus, moss, or algae and spray the area with mold remover to leave on as directed.
- Once the allotted time has passed, take a sturdier brush and scrub all the finished pieces away.
- Stains can also be removed at this stage by using a stain remover specifically made for concrete. Raw concrete may be porous and soak more chemicals if not rinsed thoroughly afterward.
- Leave the table air dry as soon as the cleaning process is done.
Some sealants and colorants can be applied when the table is completely dry to help maintain raw tables and give them a more up-to-date look. Sealants could also protect from excess moisture being absorbed during the rainy season.
Regular cleaning and maintenance of outdoor tables would keep them looking shiny and new. Each of the materials that outdoor furniture could be manufactured from may have a different cleaning method – this should be checked before starting. Fortunately, manufacturers would often supply instructions for the upkeep of the different types of furniture, or the methods listed here can be used.
Furniture covers could further assist in retaining the features of each piece by protecting them from the elements. Safely storing items when they’re not used could sound cumbersome but will save lots of time and effort for when the season changes.