Electricity is one of the greatest inventions of our time, bringing convenience, industry, and enjoyment into our lives.
Most of the time, a simple flip of the switch is enough to harness the power of electricity. At other times, this same power can become a destructive force.
According to the NFPA, electrical faults cause around 18% of house fires in the United States. That’s why it’s vitally important to know and recognize the signs of electrical issues before they become big, blazing problems.
Keep your eyes peeled for these tell-tale signs that trouble’s afoot.
Electrical Surging, Sagging, or Dipping
Surges in your electricity might be the exact opposite of dips and sags, but they’re closely related.
Damaged power lines, pending power outages, and lightning strikes can all cause surges. Dips usually result from appliances drawing too much power.
Electrical surges can damage your appliances and electronics, while faulty appliances can spark and cause a fire. Get a licensed, qualified local electrician to investigate the causes of electrical inconsistencies before it’s too late.
Your Circuit Breaker Trips Often
It’s your circuit breaker’s job to protect your home from damage caused by short-circuiting or overloads.
Faulty appliances or running too many appliances at once can cause your circuit breaker to trip. To avoid this in the future, simply replace the troublemaking appliance, or limit how many appliances you run at once.
If you’re still experiencing problems with your circuit breaker, get professional help with your electrical system.
Electrical Issues With Your Outlets
The most common electrical problem resulting from your home’s outlets is usually scarcity. Too few outlets mean you’re bound to plug too many appliances into extension cords and power strips at some stage.
This type of thing can cause frequent surges and trips in your electrical supply.
If your home has too few electrical outlets for your needs, speak to an electrician about installing some more.
You should also pay attention to whether your outlets feel warm to the touch. Warm sockets are a sign of serious wiring problems. Get help immediately.
Likewise, loose sockets are dangerous and can lead to electrocution while dead sockets are a sign that something’s already gone wrong in the deep recesses of your home’s wiring.
Buzzing Noises in Your House
If you hear a buzzing sound whenever you use a particular outlet, call an electrician as soon as you can. Your home electricity should never make a noise.
Ongoing buzzing’s a sign that there’s something serious afoot in your wiring. Ignoring it can lead to disaster, check your breaker and turn off the power to the outlet in question.
Stay Safe and Organized
Electrical issues are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the things that can go wrong at home.
The best way to ensure you don’t have unnecessary worries and inconvenience is to call for assistance from suitably qualified tradespeople whenever something’s not quite right.